Child Leadership Teams of Koraput Child Development Project had come together and formed Dasamantpur Child Rights Forum and drafted children manifesto with regard to Child Rights issues.
Dasamantpur Child Rights Forum under the guidance of Child Development Committee members met the Members of Legislative Assembly ( MLAs) contestants of the Laxmipur M.L.A. Constituency and submitted the child manifesto requesting them to raise their demands in State Legislative Assembly once if the candidate got elected. All the candidates have given written assurance to the child leaders.
included the following:
- The children from villages where there is no school should be given admission into the Government Residential Schools. As there are many small villages where there are no schools. The children from these villages are not able to go to school. They are being denied their right to education.
- The Orphans, Semi-Orphans, Differently abled children should be given admission into the government residential schools. As fulfillment of their basic needs is becoming more difficult. It is often found that these category children are becoming child labour and their future is becoming dark.
- The Orphan children should be given monthly pension. So that they will not have to depend on others for their basic needs as it hurts their self-esteem and dignity.
- Public transport facilities should be made available to every village so that the children who are studying in high schools can easily commute to and fro. The children living in the villages are also studying in high schools which is mostly situated at Gram Panchayat head quarters and Panchayat Samiti head quarter. It is tiresome and time consuming for children as a result they are not able to do well in their examination and many children are becoming drop outs.
- Life Skill should be made a subject of the syllabus at both primary and secondary level so that the children can learn about life skills. currently this is not part of the teaching ant the children are not able to take right decisions, unsuccessful in problem solving, not able to be creative in their thoughts and action, not able to communicate well, not able to face difficult situation in an appropriate way.
- The Children representatives should be allowed to participate in Palli Sabha, Gram Sabha, Block Level Planning Committee and District Level Planning Committee and their views and opinions should be respected and accepted. Respecting and accepting children’s views and opinions in the matters that influences children is a sign of healthy society. So, children’s participation should be ensured.